Community Emergency Prepardness
Are You Ready?
Ask the question, "Where will you and your family be when disaster strikes"? You could be anywhere: at work, at school, or in the car. How will you find each other? Disaster can strike quickly and without warning. It can force you to evacuate or confine you to your home. What would you do if basic services - water, gas, electricity, or telephone - were cut off?
The Tropic Fire Department and Emergency Services, along with local Town officials, are trained and certified to respond when needed. Tropic Town has an Emergency Management Plan in place, and along with Garfield County, are ready to assist you in a possible disasters. Local officials and emergency personel will be on scene after a disaster, but they will not be able to reach everyone right away. By preparing in advance, your family will able to cope in an emergency until help arrives. Knowing what to do is your best protection and your responsiblity.
Be Ready For An Emergency
Anatomy of a First Aid Kit
*Keep a first aid kit in your home and in your car
*Carry a first aid kit with you or know where you can find one
*Find out the location of first aid kits where you work
You can purchase a first aid kit from the Red Cross Store or your local American Red Cross chapter; or many department stores, like Walmart will have them. Some kits are designed for specific activities, such as hiking, camping or boating. Whether you buy a first aid kit or put one together, make sure it has all the items you may need.
The Red Cross recommends that all First Aid kits for a family of four include the following:
* 2 absorbent compress dressings (5x9 inches)
* 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
* 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
* 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
* 5 antiseptic wipe packets
* 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
* 1 blanket (space blanket)
* 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
* 1 instant cold compress
* 2 pair of non-latex gloves (size: large)
* 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
* 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
* 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
* 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
* Oral thermometer (non-mercury/non-glass)
* 2 Triangular bandages
* First aid instruction booklet
*Include any personal items such as medications, emergency phone numbers, or other items your health-care provider may suggest.
*Check the kit regularly
*Make sure the flashlight batteries work
*Check expiration dates and replace any used or out-of-date contents.
Suggest you add the following:
- Sam Splint
- Elmer's glue
- Super glue
- First Aid Book
- Butterfly closures
- Burn Spray